Saturday, March 14

Gluten Free Pop-Up Pancakes

I made these for breakfast twice. The first time they didn't really pop up, but they were so good. This time they were huge! They puffed right out of the pan. This is a fun meal for kids because they can watch them rise through the oven door. I got the recipe right from my sister in-law Chelsea's cooking blog, Increasingly Delicious. It has so many good recipes on it and they are all gluten and dairy free! Thanks Chelsea!

Ingredients:
6 eggs
(3 Tablespoons sugar) optional
1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup rice flour (brown)
4 Tablespoons Butter (more or less if you want)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Place unwrapped butter in a 9X13 glass dish and put it in the warming oven.Beat eggs. Add sugar (optional). Slowly add Milk. Mix in the rice flour. Pour batter into pan with melted butter. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Notes: Pop-up pancakes, aka German pancakes, were a staple in the Romney kitchen when Benjy was a wee lad. You can use regular flour if you don't have rice flour. Any milk substitute will work fine. Serve with lemon juice or fresh fruit and powdered sugar, or maple syrup, or jam.

2 comments:

Gran Linda said...

I used to make these all the time. We called them German pancakes..don't know why. I'll have to try them in the muffin tins. They look good.

jess and seth said...

Okay, so I had never though of baking these in muffin tins--what a clever idea! My kids love watching them grow. And I didn't know you had this site, but I love it!