Monday, June 14

Country Crunch Pancakes

 

P6090062These pancakes were awesome! They were so moist and hearty. The best part is the crunchy topping that makes kind of a sweet, toasty crust. And they have whole wheat flour and oatmeal to make them a bit more healthy.

I am also excited to share my new discovery. Powdered buttermilk! I don’t know about you, but I always need buttermilk when I don’t have it and when I actually have it I let it go bad before I get around to using it. A solution to my problems: Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend.

saco's 

Just keep it in your fridge until you need it. It works great in bread machine recipes, too!

Ingredients:

  • 2 C. all purpose flour
  • 1/3 C. whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 C. quick-cooking oats
  • 2 TBSP. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2-1/3 C. Buttermilk
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 TBSP. vegetable oil

Crunchy Topping:

  • 1/2 C. quick-cooking oats
  • 1/4 C. chopped slivered almonds
  • 1/4 C. packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Directions:

  1. In a bowl, combine flours, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Combine buttermilk, eggs, and oil. If you use the powdered buttermilk just put it in with the dry ingredients and the water with the wet ingredients.
  2. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened and blended. Do not over-mix.
  3. Combine topping ingredients. I used a small food processor to chop up the almonds. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon for each pancake onto a lightly greased hot griddle. It works best if you spread the topping around in a circle so that it is the shape of a pancake.
  4. Pour 1/4 C. of batter over topping.  Immediately sprinkle another teaspoon full of topping. Don’t be skimpy; this topping is delicious! P6090059
  5. Turn when the top starts to bubble. Cook until second side is golden brown.

 P6090069

Recipe adapted from Taste of Home

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

I love the powdered buttermilk idea! That's ingenious. And those pancakes sound sooo good-I like things that are slightly crunchy. :)