Tuesday, June 8

Romney Rolo Pancakes--King Style

We grew up begging Mom to make "rolo" pancakes for breakfast.  It wasn't until college that I finally realized we are the only family in the world to call them that--they are crepes . . . but "rolo" pancakes are so much more appropriate!  My son absolutely loves these, and while my girls usually request waffles, I can't help but agree with him.  I'm warning you, any posts that I add to this blog are probably going to call for whole wheat, but that's because I prefer the taste and the feeling after I eat whole wheat.  You could easily use normal flour or rice flour if desired.

I wish I had actually taken this delicious picture . . . my camera is still broken.
But you get the idea.  Mint leaves would be a nice touch.
4 beaten eggs
3 cups milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbs. cooking oil
4 Tbs. sugar
dash salt

Combine eggs, milk, flour, oil, and salt; beat till well mixed.  Heat a lightly greased 6-inch skillet; remove from heat.  Spoon in 2 tablespoons batter; lift and tilt skillet to spread batter.  Return to heat; brown on 1 side only. (Or, cook on a crepe maker according to manufacturer's directions.)  Invert over paper towels; remove crepe.  Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet occasionally.  Makes 36 crepes.

OR you can use my method (the one above is from my Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook):
Mix everything together with a wire whisk, use oil spray on skillet in between each batch.  Using 1/2 cup size measuring cup, pour batter on skillet--we use a large skillet and do two at a time. Before batter cooks, tilt your skillet (yes, even if it is huge) so batter spreads around evenly and becomes thin.  Flip after about 30 seconds and cook an additional 30.

Toppings:
Powdered sugar
fruit (we prefer strawberries & bananas)
maple syrup
jam
honey
anything you have on hand that's remotely sweet and pancake-ish

2 comments:

Amy Jo Romney said...

Those look amazing! Thanks for posting Jess!

smilinggreenmom said...

These look awesome! I would love to make crepes and appreciate you sharing the recipe. I am glad too to see that you use whole wheat! We do too and our favorite is Kamut! It's great because our kids have really come to love healthy foods since we have really been avoiding the processed stuff. Thanks so much :) I would love for you to visit me anytime at my blog on green and healthy living smilinggreenmom.com :D